Lark Force Trek
Join us on this amazing PNG adventure retracing the steps of Lark Force. We will pay homage to the men of Lark Force, mostly men from the 2/22nd Battalion, 1400 Australian soldiers who went to Rabaul in 1941 to fight the Japanese.
Commemorate the sinking of the Montevideo Maru a highly significant and much over-looked event in Australian military history.
The dates for our Lark Force 2016 Trek are as follows:
12 - 21 Sept 2016
(South Coast Rainforest Trek to Tol Plantation, Commemorative service at Bita Paka War Cemetery, Rabaul)
Our Lark Force Tours are a 10 day package, including 1 night at Rabaul, then a 8 day “South Coast” rainforest trek from Rabaul to Tol Plantation and return travel by boat’ and vehicle back to Kopoko and a 1 days sight-seeing around Rabaul and a final night at Rabaul.
Day 1: Fly from Australia via Port Moresby to Tokua Airport, Rabaul, East New Britain Province. On arrival, transfer to Rabaul Hotel for accommodation and meals.
Day 2: We visit Bita Paka War Cemetery and attend the memorial service for Australian Prisoners-of-War (POWs) who died in Australia’s greatest tragedy at sea, the sinking of the Montevideo Maru. Vehicle transfer to Arabam, near the headwaters of the Warangoi River, 30 km southwest of Kokopo. We meet the local porters and guide. Everyone walks to Maranagi village, crossing several creeks and stay in village guesthouse for the night.
Day 3: All walk to Rigel village, then to Lamingi to view Father Meirhofer’s grave, then south-east towards Adler Bay. Each morning, porters will show trekkers how to clean and cook any animals caught in traps or fished from rivers and demonstrate the gathering and safe cooking of wild fruit and vegetables each meal time. We will view the Imperial Japanese Army positions en route to Mt Uragi. We will camp near the upper reaches of the Merai River.
Day 4: Before Mt Uragi we cross the Merai River in its higher, less powerful reaches. “Flotation” using back packs wrapped and tied loosely in tarpaulins or tent-flies and other safe methods for trekkers to cross rivers will be demonstrated. We continue south east to the Arrakus Creek area and make camp by clean water.
Day 5: We continue walking south east to Mt Uragi (the 975 metres feature) and stop for lunch. We walk to Adler Bay village on the South Coast, at the furthest end of the road from Kokopo and make camp.
Day 6: We cross the headland after Eber Bay and walk along the coastal track to Kuluraka, taking care with the deep creek mouth at Murim Creek. We arrive at Karong village where we will set up camp.
Day 7: We walk the coastal track past Jammer Bay and continue to Marunga village where we will set up camp. We visit Fr Bart Advent and confirm our boat ride for tomorrow.
Day 8: We visit Tol Plantation, meet the local villagers and visit the Tol Memorial.
Day 9: We return to Adler Bay by boat, for vehicle transport back to Kokopo and back our hotel at Rabaul.
Day 10: Early departure for return to Australia.
Lark Force Trek Map
- Experienced Australian Guide
- Return airfare Cairns to Rabaul (Tokua)
- 2 nights twin-share accommodation at Rabaul Hotel
- Transfers from Tokua airport to Rabaul
- Group porters for 8 day trek from Rabaul to Tol Plantation
- 8 days trekking food
- Visit to Tol Memorial
- Boat transfer from Adler Bay to Tol Plantation
- Vehicle transfer from Alder Bay to Rabaul
- Day trips to Vimy Plantation with the Imperial Japanese Army underground hospital, Vulcanological Observatory and walk up onto North Daughter and Matupit (Tarvurvur) volcano
- Visit to Bita Paka War Cemetery and attendance at the memorial service to commemorate the 72nd anniversary of the sinking of the Montevideo Maru and the greatest Australian tragedy at sea.
- Personal porter
- Communications and safety equipment including Satellite phone
- Public liability insurance
- Travel visa to PNG (free - must be arranged in advance of travel)
- Hotel meals, drinks, phone calls or any other personal expenses
- Personal travel insurance
Available on Request
- Australian domestic airfare from all capital cities
- Personal travel insurance
- Single supplement surcharge